Tuesday, March 17, 2015

A Time for Isabella

September 25, 1295

Sounds of men’s laughter filled my ears as I descended the stairs. Vanna was not far behind with the snuggly baby in her arms.



Silence filled the hall when I pushed the door open and peered in. Felipe sat nervously in the middle of the table, staring down at his cup, while Alfonso, Faustino and Diogo were in the middle of a game of dice. Felipe’s eyes widened and he jumped up abruptly as he looked at my bloody apron. Oops. Even Alfonso looked alarmed, and he raised his eyebrows in question. I avoided his gaze and turned my attentions back to Felipe.

“She’s fine!” I reassured him, patting his elbow. I waved Vanna in quickly.



“It’s a girl,” Vanna said following me into the hall.

Faustino slapped Felipe on the back, while Diogo and Alfonso shouted congratulations to him. But he was far too preoccupied with the little dark haired beauty in Vanna’s arms. Alfonso looked at me and smiled, but I quickly looked away towards the baby.



“A girl?” Felipe whispered in awe.

“Yes. A healthy baby girl. A little early, but Mathlida and I didn’t see need to baptise her.”

Vanna gently laid the girl into his arms. He awkwardly held her in the crook of his arm.

“Don’t worry,” I said. “You won’t drop her.”

I decided not to mention that I had nearly dropped her, which is why Vanna presented her to him instead of myself.

Felipe merely smiled at the baby. He bounced her gently, instinctively, completely captivated by her.



“What are you going to name her?” I asked.

Felipe looked over at Alfonso. “If you don’t mind, I’d like to name her Isabella.”



Vanna raised an eyebrow. “Why would he care if you named her Isabella?”

I smiled and stroked the baby’s head, waiting for the inevitable argument to come. And of course I was not disappointed.

Diogo sighed. “Isabella is his Alfonso’s mothers name.”

Vanna rolled her eyes. “Yes, because I am supposed to know that.”

Diogo opened his mouth to say something, but I glared at him over Felipe’s shoulder. He glared back, but said nothing. I also glanced side-eyed at Vanna whose face was red over the stupid argument. I elbowed her, but she said nothing.

Alfonso grinned. “A fine name. If you don’t mind two Isabella’s running around here.”

My cheeks flushed and I shot him a dirty look. Luckily, Felipe was too busy with Isabella to notice. Alfonso strode around the table in that smooth, effortless manner of his. He stopped at my side and looked down at the baby.




“Is she supposed to be that color?”

“What?” Felipe gasped and put the baby close to his chest.

“Really?” Vanna asked. “Really? She’s fine. Go bother someone else with your jokes.”

Alfonso grinned at me, not put off. 




His arm snaked around my waist. I stiffened, but he didn’t notice.

“She’s the perfect color, Felipe. Ignore him.” Faustino said.

Vanna shook her head. “After you, I declare, no more babies for at least a year, or I’ll kill you. This is getting ridiculous. Three babies in the nursery at once.”

Why was everyone so insistent on talking about this? I pulled myself from Alfonso’s grip.

He grinned and pinched my hip. “Maybe four, someone here is getting a little fat.”

“You’re just looking to get punched, aren’t you Alfonso?” Faustino asked.

Vanna and Diogo shared a laugh, but stopped abruptly. There was no love lost between the two of them.

“You’re a shit,” I said and pushed him off. He simply laughed at me and turned back to the baby.

I played with my ring, sliding it up and down, twisting it side to side. I still felt uncomfortable with him even though it had been a few months since he started speaking to me again. He still hadn’t apologized and we hadn’t spoken about the jewels yet. I was so afraid to rock the boat, so I veered between tiptoeing around the subject or ignoring it all together..

“...and a pony...and as many pretty dresses as you want….” Felipe was murmuring to the baby.

“And a handsome prince...and gold….” Diogo said in a high falsetto.

Felipe glared.

“Boys, enough,” Vanna said.

Diogo grumbled. “Yeah well, if he’s going to act like an idiot….”

Vanna stomped her foot. “Of course he’s going to act a fool. She belongs to him, and he’s free to be foolish over her. One day you’ll thank Papa for being silly, won’t you, Isa?”

Felipe smiled indulgently. “She’ll be my little precious….”

Suddenly, I felt so tired. I dragged myself over to the bench and flopped down with a heavy sigh. Alfonso followed and sat next to me. He slung his arm around my shoulders. I leaned away slightly, but he only leaned in closer to me and nuzzled my neck.



“I hope it’s a girl,” he whispered softly sending chills running down my body. He started stroking my hair. “Give me a pretty little girl who looks like you.”

I smiled weakly at him. “Not a boy?”

“He can come second. I want a girl.”

He kissed my temple and pulled me into his lap. 

“I love you, Maudrun.” He whispered in my ear.

I merely smiled at him. I couldn’t say it back. At least, not yet.



1 comment:

  1. Congrats to Burga and Felipe! Glad everyone made it out okay.

    And three babies? Is Maddie pregnant? Sounds like she will be soon if she isn't already, so maybe Vanna was counting the hypothetical there.

    Luckily for Isa, Maddie's future daughter, and everyone else, there are plenty of available nicknames for "Isabella". :)

    ReplyDelete