Monday, February 23, 2015

An Understanding is Made

The monastery was warm and comfortable and the parish priest was kind and discreet. He examined my arm and determined it would heal within a week or so. Then, he sent me up to a room for a hot bath and a hot cup of cider. It was the first time in 3 months that I had a real bed to sleep in and a roof over my head. A sense of peace washed over me as I sank into the steaming water.
After the bath I sighed and flopped back on to the bed, dressed in a plain borrowed brown gown. Ugh, the bed was hard. At least it was a bed in a warm and dry place. The room didn't have a fireplace, but it was directly above the kitchens, so the heat of the fire filled the room.

As soon as I closed my eyes a knock echoed in my room.
"Enter," I called softly. My heart leapt, thinking it was Alfonso.
I was disappointed when I saw Diogo peering in. "My lady."
He bowed and stood in the doorway.
"Come in. Did you manage to find Alfonso?"
"Aye."
"Are you alright? You're limping."
"I'm fine. We ran into some minor trouble. The priest is tending to your husband now."

I nodded and watched as he limped over to the desk and sat in the chair without my leave. I chose not to acknowledge it. Why bother? It would only lead to another fight, one that I did not feel up to.

I decided to be forthright. "Did you kill any of my father's men?"

He considered me for a moment and sighed. "Yes."
What a mess. I didn't even want to know who or how many. It would only make things worse for me, knowing that several innocent men died because of me. I ran my good hand over my face.
"Though, I believe one got away. That is, after Mathlida bit him."
I cracked a small smile. "Do you think he'll get rabies?"
Diogo snorted. "Hopefully."
I looked away, to the wall. "What about Marcos?"
His good humor faded. "Dead."

"How?"
Diogo licked his lips and looked anxiously around the room, avoiding my gaze, finally settling on his lap. He smoothed his palms over his trousers; I imagined them to be sweaty and clammy. "If...you....don't tell Alfonso..."

I shook my head. "I won't tell him if I think it will hurt him."
Diogo nodded. He inhaled deeply and then began to speak to the wall. "They caught us at an inn. I was upstairs....well...with a..."

I raised my eyebrows. "A woman. I'm no maid, go on."
He rubbed his hands over his legs again. "Aye, well, Marcos was eating dinner when they found him. Your father's men confronted him in the hall. When I heard the commotion, I ran out to see and found Marcos...well he was running away, my lady. I dressed in a rush and ran out after them, only to find him begging on his knees for his life. He...told them everything. I turned away, to the stables. I couldn't face it. I was a coward too."
No, he wasn't a coward. Not even a little. I stood and walked over to Diogo. I dropped to my knees in front of him and leaned into his face. "No. You would be a coward if you ran the other way. You came back for us. To warn us. If you had tried to save Marcos we would all be dead now, including you. So I thank you. You have saved us all. You made the right choice."


 "I have tried to tell myself that. I just cannot believe it."
"Believe what you will Diogo, but we owe you greatly."
 "You would never owe me if that traitor---"
I pushed myself up, looming over Diogo. "--don't. He's dead and we do not speak ill of the dead. He made his choice and he paid dearly for it and I am sorry to hear it."

Diogo said nothing, instead he gazed off into the distance. I turned my back to Diogo, so he wouldn't see my face.

Marcos....dead and a traitor. What would Alfonso think? I didn't think he would be able to handle it. I went back to the bed and lay upon it. My heart ached for Diogo. I knew how it felt to blame yourself for something out of your control. I knew what it was like to find fault in everything you did. We sat in silence for a long time. I closed my eyes.

Finally Diogo spoke. "I am sorry about your arm."
"It's fine. It's only a flesh wound, according to my brother."
Diogo nodded and stood. "I am going now."
"Alright. Thank you. Please send Alfonso and Edward to me."
I listened to him limp across the room.
"Wait," I said.
He paused at the door and turned back.

"I still don't like you," I said, eyes still closed.
"Don't worry, I'm not very fond of you either, but I appreciate your honesty."

No comments:

Post a Comment