Monday, February 23, 2015

Water Under the Bridge

Hooves thundered on the bridge above my head while the dark sky cried. I felt like crying too. I stood under the bridge with Greatheart, in the dark, holding the reins in my shaky hands. My arms ached with the effort of holding his head down. The leather straps cut into my hands and cut off whatever feeling I had left over from the cold. I pinched my lips between my teeth and ordered myself not to sob. Greatheart tried to rear his head back and I yanked the reins down as hard as I could. My arms screamed in protest.
Rain dripped on my head from between the gaps in the bridge. I wish I had my hood to keep the water from running down my hair, down my forehead, into my eyes. The fabric of my dress clung to arms, my chest, and my shoulders, while the rest of my dress was covered by river water. I ordered myself to not panic. I knew how to swim, I reminded myself. I would be fine. Tremors ran throughout my body. I shivered so violently that I could barely contain the sobs. If I didn’t breathe soon, I feared my lungs would burst. Every part of my body hurt.
Over the sound of the horses, the strange men shouted unintelligible words. Greatheart tried to side step but I dragged him back. I very nearly lost my footing in the water. The only thing that kept me up was the fact that I held so tight to Greatheart. I felt around with my foot, as I held myself up, trying to find something solid to stand on. Finally my foot hit a rather large rock and I climbed on it. My slippers were long gone, so I wrapped my toes around the edge. Half my waist came out of the water. I rewrapped the leather around my hands.
Greatheart’s eyes were wild as he jerked his head up and down.
“No, don’t!” I whimpered.
He stopped and shook his head side to side. By now my arms were no longer on fire, but numb as ice.
Another shout and a muffled scream escaped. Oh god, what if someone heard me? Beyond the bridge, a shadow was following the men. My vision was hazy because of the water in my eyes and I could barely make the figure out. What I could make out was the top of my jewelry casket a few feet from the bridge. I cursed myself and prayed they wouldn’t find it. Not only was the key in there, but there were several highly valuable pieces I stole from my family.
Above me the pounding ceased. With baited breath, I waited until I was sure they were gone. It felt like an eternity before I felt a little safe. I fell face-forward into Greatheart. A long raspy breath escaped my mouth and I loosened the grip on the reins.
I shivered in relief. They hadn’t found me. I was glad I had the wits about me to hide under the bridge. How had they not seen me? Greatheart was glaring white against the night sky. I swallowed the bad taste from my mouth. One of them had to have seen me.
A hand patted my back. I stumbled and fell forward into the river with a gasp. Water filled my ears and my mouth. I scrambled as I tried to find my footing. I clawed the underside of the river, only to grab rocks and mud. My hands scraped a large solid rock and I made a grab for it. They slipped on the first try, but I managed to hold on to it my second try. I hauled myself upwards and up the sloping, muddy riverbank, sliding down more often than I rose. I no longer heard the sounds of the rain, merely an echo far away. As I clambered up the slope, I spat out black water.
Coughs racked my body, as I vomited and spat out water.
Finally I found flat land and sat down upon it. I rubbed the water from my stinging eyes with the only unmuddy part of my body; the backs of my wrists. My hair stuck to my neck, my cheeks and my chin, blocking out the world. My own coughing sounded funny to me. As if I sat in a cave. So I plugged my nose and blew as hard as I could, draining as much of the water from my ears as I could.
As soon as the water cleared, I heard laughter. I was going to kill Alfonso as soon as I caught my breath. It wasn’t funny for me to be nearly pissing myself while he played games.
“Really, Alfonso? It’s so hilarious,” I snarled.
“Really sister, it is hilarious.”
I froze. That was not Alfonso. I flipped my hair back away from my face and sobbed at the face in front of me. It was my brother, Edward. His dark hair was scraggly, his normally clean shaven face had a two day beard, and from what I could tell he smelled something awful. Even his clothes were dirty and stuck oddly to him. I realized that he’d been waiting for me. The tall shadow had been my brother. I whimpered in relief.
He grinned and climbed out of the water to sit next to me. “Close your mouth little sister.”
I gaped at him. “Trust you to be laughing in an emergency.”
He laughed again and jumped up, the easier to pull Greatheart out of the water.
He and Greatheart came back up the slope in 3 easy strides. He pulled me up and hugged me tight with one arm. I buried my head into his shoulder and inhaled. I immediately regretted it.


Edward laughed as I wrinkled my nose up at him. “There is nothing funnier than when you get your head wet, little sister.”
I coughed and leaned over to spit out more black water.
He wiped my mouth with his fingers and held me at arm’s length. His laughter faded. “Where is your husband?”
“He….I…how did you--?”

“Father sent a letter; he thought you may have taken refuge with me.”
I looked down. “The key….”
He nodded. “Don't worry about that now. Maddie, where is he? We need to find him.”
I gestured ahead. “He went over there somewhere. With Beans. Oh God! I forgot about Beans.”
“Let’s go get them. Beans is fine,” he said, turning me about.

“Wait!” I wheezed.
I darted over to the muddy bank, relieved to see my casket only partially buried in the mud.
Edward raised an eyebrow at me, but I didn’t look at him. He and I both knew the jewels were half the reason our father cared to look for me.
Edward clapped his hands on my shoulders and grinned down at me. “Maddie, you are awful.”
“What else was I supposed to do?”
“Not run away to be married? Weren't you supposed to be the obedient child?”
He turned back to the forest and I followed.

I snorted and licked my lips. “And that would have worked out perfectly.”
“Maddie…”
I waved a hand at him. “Don’t. I don’t want to talk about him or it.”
Thankfully, Edward left it alone. He guided us towards the forest and sighed. “Why am I always caught up in your harebrained schemes, little sister?”
“Because you love me best?”
He raked a hand through his wild hair. “Better than anyone. You should consider yourself lucky. Come let’s find this husband of yours.”
“He went into the forest because he heard men…”
“Those were my men, not Father’s. If any had found you they were to bring you straight to me.”
“Thank you, I’m very grateful.”
“Of course. Guess how I found you?”
“Mmm?”
“Beans.”
“Oh God, where?”
He gestured. “Somewhere over that way.”
“What? Where?”
He turned and grabbed Greatheart’s reins. “Come on you big brute, up the hill.”
“What about Beans?”
“She’s fine little sister.”
We walked along the forest edge. Edward laughed at my face when my skirts stuck to my legs. Even after I peeled them off my raw skin, they still reattached.
"Ugh," I said.
Edward shook his head. "So, Maddie what were you planning to do? You know, after you married Alfonso?"
"I hadn't thought that far ahead, honestly. I just know that...I couldn't let him go. I couldn't stand the idea of never seeing him again."
Edward glanced sideways at me and sighed. "Maddie...."
I plucked at my skirts. "I love him. I was hoping....As I told Mathlida and Burga--"
"--Burga is here?"
I raised my eyebrow and Edward flushed. "Yes, Edward, Burga and Mathlida came with me. Ever loyal."
Edward cleared his throat. "Yes....you were Mathlida's baby."
I snickered. "Way to change the subject."
Edward sniffed. "Pray continue, Maudrun."

I laughed. "I was hoping you would help us. I have a plan."
We stopped in the middle of the forest.
Edward sighed. "Where is your husband?"
"He's not here," Diogo's voice came from behind us. "Let my lady go."

We turned, only to find Diogo's sword pointed at Edwards throat.
"Diogo, no!" I cried.
Edward eyed the sword. "Diogo, let us---"
"---there will be no discussion. Get behind me Maudrun! Now!"

Diogo pushed the point of his sword against Edward's throat.
"Stop it!" I screamed. I grabbed Diogo's arm, pulling it back, giving Edward enough time to grab his knife.
"No!" I cried and put myself between them.

"Maddie! Get out of the way!"
"No!"
"Maudrun!"
"No! Listen to me!"
Edward grabbed the back of my gown and threw me to the side. I jumped to my feet and pushed him out of the way of Diogo's sword....But I didn't get out of the way in time. I threw my hands up to protect my face.

The blade sliced neatly through my arm, not deep, but painfully.
I cried out and grabbed my arm with my other hand. Both Edward and Diogo dropped their weapons and came at me.
Diogo's face twisted. "No!"

Edward sobbed and moved to touch me.
"NO! Get the hell away from me, both of you! Before you fucking kill me. God damn." I roared.

Edward and Diogo stopped. I glared at them. "Diogo, that is my BROTHER Edward. He is going to help us. Edward this is my HUSBAND'S man, Diogo. He has been protecting me."
At least they both had the sense to look shame faced.
Edward spoke first, his voice thick with emotion. "Sorry, just trying to protect my sister."
Diogo flared his nostrils. "Sorry, but I was protecting my lady. My lord's wife."
"Hello?! I'm bleeding over here."
Edward came over to me and examined the wound. "It's not deep. I know where we can go." He turned to Diogo. "There is a monastery half a mile east through the forest. Meet us there after you collect the others."
"Why should I trust you?"
"Because I'm trying to get my sister help?" Edward said sarcastically.
"Shut up, both of you. Just go Diogo."
He huffed at us both and then turned back to the forest. We watched him disappear.

Edward raised his eyebrow. "What an ass. Come on sister, let's get you healed up."
I stared into the blackness of the forest, where Diogo had disappeared. It was odd, only a day or so ago, Diogo hated me. Now suddenly I was his lady? I could only hope the sentiment would stay. 

No comments:

Post a Comment