Monday, February 23, 2015

Maddie Makes a Shocking Discovery

As soon as I walked into our camp, Felipe ambushed me. "How is she?! What's going on?"

I looked softly at him. "We're doing everything we can. She's okay for now."

Diogo stopped sharpening his knife, watching us warily. Probably annoyed at me. Behind him, Beans trotted up, her tail wagging. I focused on her, tilting my head to the side, the better to see behind Felipe.

He moved his head in front of my line of vision. "Where is she?"

I looked back at Felipe. "She's with a girl I found."

Felipe grabbed my arms and squeezed. "You left her with a stranger?!"

I yanked away, losing my balance.

He caught me again. Beans barked, causing Diogo to calmly put his knife in his boot.

"Mathlida is there! Stop."

Felipe pushed me away. "You left her. All of this, because of you."

Diogo rose to his feet and slowly headed our way. Beans followed him, still barking.

"Me?" I cried. "I wasn't the one who got her into trouble. You only have yourself to blame for that, good sir!"

Felipe grabbed me shook me hard. My head bobbed and flopped back and forth, making me dizzy, the world a blurry vision in front of my eyes.

"What the fuck?"

Everything was hazy and I slipped backwards as Felipe let go. I landed hard on my rump. A large woosh of air escaped my lungs. I gasped for air. Over my head I heard Felipe and someone else yelling, but it made no sense. I could only focus on all the breath I was not getting.

A strong pair of hands pushed my head between my knees.

I heard Faustino's soothing voice in my ear. "Take a deep breath. Just calm down."

"Alfonso?"

"He's out hunting."

"Wait...who is yelling?"

"Felipe and Diogo."

"What?"

"Come on, up you go." Faustino said as he pulled me to my feet.

I rubbed my arms while glancing back at Faustino. I inhaled deeply, glad that my breathing was back to normal. Faustino was focused on Felipe and Diogo.

"Enough." His voice was quiet, but firm. It carried over to them. "That is enough. Felipe, I'm very sure that Maudrun would not have left Ethelburga unless she felt it was right to do so. She is with Mathlida, who is more than capable."

"She left my wife with a stranger!"

Faustino nodded and stood beside me, one arm around my waist. "Yes, I am aware. But we don't have a choice. And I would not advertise that you harmed the lady you swore to protect. I understand your fears, but do not take it out on Maudrun who is doing her best. Now, go sit the fuck down and shut the fuck up."

Diogo and I both stared open mouthed at Faustino. His face was impassive, as cool as it ever was.

Faustino guided me to a rock and helped me sit down. He handed me a bowl of something and a spoon.

"Eat."

I nodded and scraped the spoon against the bowl. The bowl we didn't have the previous day. I hoped it wasn't stolen, but I knew better. Just like I knew that Alfonso and the boys probably stole the weapons as well. With trembling hands I ate the gruel. It felt like glue all the way down to my stomach, where it settled unevenly.

I smiled up at him. "Mathlida loves you so."

Faustino raised his eyebrows. "Ah so she does?"

"You know it," I said and scraped the scraps from the bottom of the bowl. "I see the way she fawns over you."

He chuckled and patted me on the back. I looked at the ground.

"Faustino, how....how did you guys do this for years?"

His smiled faded and he stared far away into the distance. "Ah, well I've been at it a lot longer than your husband."

He sat beside me, taking one of my hands into his own. "You learn to value your instincts, your friends and God. You learn to let go of anger, hatred, fear and worldly possessions."

I laughed, a little ironically. "I guess that's the part I'm having trouble with, Faustino. Letting go of my things."

"Oh, that reminds me. Mathlida dropped off the bag that Ethelburga was holding earlier. Said it was important. I'll fetch it for you."

He grunted as he rose to his feet. I watched him walk across to the fire where a pouting Felipe sat. They exchanged words and Felipe followed him into the small, makeshift tent. I shuffled my feet. Was Burga carrying a bag that day? I couldn't remember.

Faustino emerged, carrying Burga's small leather bag. He handed it to me. I had to reach to grab it. The bowl and spoon slipped from my fingers as I reached for the bag.

I nearly dropped it. "Oof. It's awfully heavy."

"Look inside," Faustino said, settling next to me once more.

I opened the bag and dropped it immediately. Oh my god.

"Maddie?"

A low moan escaped my mouth and I pressed my hands against my lips. I looked at Faustino with tears in my eyes. Between sobs I said, "She saved my casket. With the jewels. She...."

I stopped, the gruel in my stomach turning and turning, spinning out of control.

"She's....she's going to....die," I whispered. "And she was still taking care of me."

I panted and Faustino pushed my head down again.

"What makes you say she'll die?"

I looked up at Faustino standing above me. "Because, she has nowhere to rest. Except in the dirty hut of a peasant. She....She can't do this. That's what Ann--the healing woman--said. She can't live this way. Oh god."


"Up you get," Faustino said, pulling me to my feet. "Let's lie you down."

He helped me to the tent and into a sleeping roll. "Shhhh...."

I rolled over and sobbed. Burga had been my companion since I was a child. Her father had known Mathlida, who had been the family nurse for years. When her father and mother perished in an awful fire, Mathlida suggested Burga as a maid for me to my mother. How could I lose her?

Beans came and licked the tears from my face. I reached out and stroked her fur, feeling temporarily soothed. She stepped onto the pallet and nosed her way under the covers, my fingers still entangled in her fur. She turned twice under the blankets and pressed herself against me. I curled my body protectively around her and closed my eyes.


What felt like a second later, I heard my husband's voice above. I rolled over to find the light soft and faded. Had I fallen asleep? Beans lay on Alfonso's side of the bed.

He smiled down at me and stroked my face. "Hello, Maddie."

I caught his hand in my own and kissed it.

"Are you feeling better?"

I shook my head, but sat up anyway. I lifted my arms to him, like a child and he sat beside me and held me, rocking me back and forth.

I cuddled up against his chest, finally feeling safe. The first time since all of this started.

"How is she?" He asked, lips pressed to my hair.

I shook my head. "Not well. We need to move her, but we can't move her."

Alfonso sighed. "Can't anything be...easy?"

"Hah, if it were easy it wouldn't be...fun!"

He inhaled deeply. "I will figure something out, Maddie. I promise. I must speak with Faustino first."

I let him go and nodded. He leaned in and pressed his lips to mine. I ran my fingers through his hair as I kissed him, breathing and tasting him. He pulled away and smiled at me.

"Not now."

He got up. As he walked to the entrance of the tent I playfully slapped his butt. He turned and pretended to glare briefly at me. Then he was gone.

I fiddled with the laces on my dress, wondering what we could do for her. What I could do for her. Why couldn't we have the safe haven Edward promised us? Where was Edward, anyway? I hoped he was safe. Hopefully Father's men wouldn't hurt him.

I tugged harder on the laces, trying to pull the thoughts from my head. We needed a home.

My stomach sank. I knew what I had to do, but could I? Would I?

No comments:

Post a Comment