Monday, February 23, 2015

Run Baby, Run

I kneaded my knuckles over the goose bumps on my arms. The weather remained damp and soggy with no signs of spring or warmth. For days the sky threatened more rain and possible snow. I felt desperate for it to either shit or get off the proverbial pot.
A fog loomed over us all, but it lay thickest over my husband’s heart. In all our time together, I never saw him so melancholy. My heart broke as I watched his pain.

Ever since Diogo and Marcos left, my husband fell into the same routine. First, he stared into the fire without seeing for at least an hour at a time. Then, he would lament over and over, “I can’t believe it. He was my brother….”

And like clockwork, Faustino would then pat my husband on the back and look at me expectantly. But, every time I tried to speak or touch Alfonso, he turned away with a shrug. After the fifth or sixth time, I stopped trying. There was no doubt in my mind that Alfonso blamed me for their departure. Felipe assured that Alfonso just needed time, so I steered clear of him. Instead, I schemed with Mathlida and Burga about the key.



We huddled in the corner, much to Faustino's dismay, away from the fire and away from the men. Burga chewed on her thumb as she eyed the basket of walnuts at Felipe's feet. Mathlida rolled her eyes as the fire roared and crackled from the shells Felipe tossed into the fire. I tried to catch her eye to shake my head, but she avoided my gaze.

I tried to distract her. "I think I know what to do."


Her eyes rolled upwards, the better to see Felipe.

"Mathlida."

Her eyes snapped back to me."Hmm?"

"I said, I think I have a plan."

"For what?"

I sighed. "For us."

"Well?"

"Edward."

Mathlida stared at me. "No."

"Wait, hear me out!"

"Maddie, do you think that is a good idea?" Burga asked.

“I don’t…I just don’t know what else to do. I’m not sure I like the idea any more than either of you do.” I said helplessly.
POP. The three of us jumped as the fire crackled loudly. Across the tent, Felipe tossed nutshells into the fire.
“Sorry,” Felipe muttered through a mouthful of nuts. He tossed another walnut shell in, causing another POP.
Mathlida glared at him. Felipe watched her, chewing slowly. Burga looked down at her lap.
“Maddie, your father will surely find us. Not even Edward could keep it from your father,” Burga said.
I stared down, at nothing in particular. I hadn’t thought of that. “I don’t even know. I hope Edward will find a way to shield us. I don’t think who lives on the lands Father gave to Edward would be of much concern to him. Not when…not when.” I licked my lips and glanced over to Alfonso. “Not when he thinks I’ve been stolen.”

Pop! Pop! Mathlida gritted her teeth. I shot a warning glance to Felipe, but he pointedly ignored me.
“We are not an inconspicuous bunch, Maddie. If you haven’t noticed, your husband and his men…except Faustino…are rather dark skinned. They would stick out like a sore thumb. And people would talk.”
She was right. I rubbed my hand on my forehead. What a mess we were all in. My father’s men after us because I ran away, two of Alfonso’s men gone because of poor choices and now we had nowhere to run. We couldn’t stay in the forest forever. Burga and I were not used to living in the forest. We both were castle born and bred. It was a rough living and neither of us up for the task much longer. Poor Burga was skin and bones, her eyes were slightly sunken. Even Mathlida looked older than her forty-odd years. And poor Beans was merely a nuisance here; if I was to let her roam she would die in less than a day.

Mathlida broke through my thoughts by jumping up and yelling at Felipe. I couldn’t make out what she was saying, but if her balled fists were any indication, it was nothing soothing.

"Well, Mathlida." Felipe said as he popped a walnut into his mouth. "You are more than welcome to come crack my nuts anytime you feel the need to."
"What?!"

Beans peered through the curtain. She bounded through and barked joyfully at Felipe and Mathlida. The louder they spoke, the more Beans thought she should speak.
I saw Alfonso smile for the first time in days. We looked at each other for a moment before we both ended up in peals of laughter. I pressed my hand to my mouth, listening to him giggle. I missed that laugh. It had been too long since I'd heard it.
“Ladies," Faustino said as he started to stand. "It is time we packed and moved. We have been at this spot for more than a month; it would be too easy for us to be found. I would appreciate us being ready by dawn tomorrow,” said Faustino.
I wanted to bring up the key and the manor now, but it wasn’t the time. Not until we truly knew what to do, until we had a plan.
As usual, Mathlida took charge. “Burga, will you fold the linens? I shall pack the trunk. Maddie, can you please sort through what we may need and not need?”
Burga and I nodded silently and began to work in earnest. I was fairly useless at folding, so instead Mathlida gave me the task of sorting through junk and non-junk. It was slightly insulting, but I didn’t want to complain. I glowered at Mathlida. Her temper as of late bothered me.
As I leaned over the rug, Beans kept trying to lick me, and I pushed her away. I loved the little dog, but damn she could drive me crazy sometimes. I kept sneaking glances at Alfonso, who worked on the opposite side of the tent. He chewed on his inner lip. I knew he was worried that if Marcos and Diogo decided to return, they wouldn’t be able to find us. He would forgive them and welcome them back. For me, it would be harder, but I would do it for him.
“Do you hear that?” Felipe asked suddenly, as he bent over the fire.
I stopped and listened. It sounded like….a horse. I sprang up as the men grabbed their swords. Felipe dropped the bucket he was holding with a loud BANG! We all jumped and he winced.
“Behind the curtain,” Alfonso ordered. “Now!”
The sound of hooves echoed throughout the tent, louder and louder. The men went out to meet him, swords drawn. Burga scooped up Beans and I ushered them behind the curtain. I was about to duck under myself when I heard the shouts in Portuguese. Those shouts belonged to Diogo. My heart leapt with joy and I raced out behind the men, ignoring Alfonso’s commands.
Diogo sat atop his horse, eyes blazing with absolute hatred as he looked at me.

“They’re coming.”
I stopped short, the smile wiped off my face.
“What, who is coming?” Felipe asked suspiciously.
“My father’s men…They found us.” I said quietly.

Behind us, Beans barked.
“Aye,” said Diogo. “Marcos is holding them off.”
Alfonso sheathed his sword. “How many?”
“Six.”
Six men. My stomach dropped. I looked at Diogo, who scowled back at me, and I knew Marcos would never be able to hold them at bay. He would indeed give his life for my husband in battle. I would never be able to repay him.
Alfonso addressed Faustino. “What do we do?”
“There are four of us and six of them…We may be able to hold them off, but with the ladies to protect, we shouldn’t risk it.”
Felipe frowned. “It doesn’t make sense that there are only six men.”
Alfonso glanced at him thoughtfully. “You may be right. There were three times as many looking for us at the beginning. A scouting party perhaps?”
Diogo slapped his thigh. “Dammit, we can argue about particulars later. Move you idiots! We don’t have time.”

“Maddie,” Burga whispered in my ear.
I turned to her and she handed me Beans and my personal casket. I smiled at her gratefully and clasped them both to my chest.
She looked at Diogo solemnly. “We are ready, Sir.”
Faustino nodded. “Let us go then. We should split up. It will be harder for us to be found. Mathlida and I will head to the lake. Felipe take Burga to the hills in the west. Alfonso, you and Maddie go to the northern river. I will come collect everyone around dusk should there be no issue.”
Diogo sighed. “And where do you want me?”
Alfonso raised his eyebrow at Diogo.
“I’m not an oathbreaker,” Diogo muttered.
“Go with Mathlida and Faustino. Thank you.”
I reached over and hugged Burga. She squeezed back. “It’s going to be ok, Maddie. You’ll see.”
Mathlida was next. She held me tight. Neither of us spoke, but there was no need.

I exchanged hugs with both Felipe and Faustino.
Faustino put his hands on my shoulders. “We will all meet again. Now, go.”
I grabbed Diogo’s boot. “Thank you. Thank you for everything and I’m sorry.”
Diogo nodded curtly and followed Mathlida and Faustino to the lake.
“Come, wife.” Alfonso slid his hand in mine and led me away.
“What about the tent?” I asked, looking back.
“We’ve taken all our personal affairs, the rest we will have to….leave? Is that the right word.”
I nodded and handed Beans to him, but I still clutched the casket to my chest. Alfonso dropped her to the ground
He put me on the horse.
He then slung Beans across my lap. “Hold tight to her, okay?”
He squeezed my foot reassuringly. My smile was more grimace than grin.
With my right hand I gripped the reins and with my left I cuddled Beans and the casket close. Alfonso jumped on his horse and we sped off north. We finally stopped near the bridge at the river after riding for an hour. Overhead the sky finally opened up, soaking us both to the bone. I shivered and Alfonso reached over and touched my face.
“It’s okay…”
I froze. I dropped the reins and made a grab for him.
“Maddie, it’s ok.”
“It sounds like voices.”
Alfonso jumped off his horse and took Beans from me. He drew his sword. I slid down off Greatheart, prepared to follow.
“Wait here,” he commanded.
I shook my head. “Don’t…don’t leave. Please. Don’t. I don’t want you to leave me.”
Alfonso stroked my cheek. “It will be fine,” he reassured me. “I will be back, I promise.”
He pulled his knife out of his boot and handed it to me, hilt first. “Stick them with the pointy end.”
I held it delicately. “Alfonso.”
“Shh,” he said and kissed me. “You will be fine.”
“I’m not worried about me.”
“Maddie, shh.” He whispered as he peered into the forest. “Go find cover on the other side. Climb a tree if you have to. I will come get you. Now go.”
Alfonso pushed me towards the bridge. Away he slinked, after a smile and a nod, into the opposite tree line. My heart dropped into my stomach and I sunk down beside the muddy bank, not caring if my dress was ruined. It was already water stained. I hardly noticed my jewelry casket slip from my hand.
Greatheart nudged my head, but I barely noticed him. All I could think of was Alfonso’s body laying somewhere in the forest and me never finding him. My mind raced with different ways my father’s men would kill him. And ways I’d kill them and myself if that came to pass.
The shouts grew louder. I called softly for Beans, but she wasn’t there. My heart stopped, not Beans, I thought. I pulled myself up using Greatheart’s reins. He pawed at the ground as the men’s voices were coming closer and closer. I gripped the knife with my right hand, holding on for dear life.
“Beansss!” I hissed.
I looked up at the edge of the forest. She would have run after Alfonso. Why didn’t I pay attention? I cursed myself inwardly and hung limply from Greatheart's reins. My feet gave out and my hand let go of Greatheart . A shock jolted up my body as I landed on my rump. Then I saw two shadowy figures emerging from the tree line. One man of average height and one man that towered over the other. I whimpered. I was a bush, small and rooted to the ground.
I didn’t know what to do. I was going to die.

No comments:

Post a Comment